On the occasion of Tofino’s birthday (10th of Feb), I have decided to write a post on a number of collected DIY homemade horse treat recipes that I have found.
Yum yum 🙂 !
Earth Muffins – by Michelle N.Anderson
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 2 cups oat flour
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup frozen seedless berries
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Soak ground flax seed in warm water for 10 minutes until it turns a gelatinous consistency.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flax-and-water mixture with sugar.
- Stir in oat flour, oatmeal, salt, and cinnamon until well-combined.
- Pour batter into greased mini-muffin pan.
- Firmly press one marion berry thick side down into each muffin.
- Bake 18-20 minutes.
Fruity Chews – by Jennifer Whittle
- 1 1/2 cup oats
- 2 tbsp. honey or molasses
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 apple, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 5 crushed peppermints
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix oats, water, and honey or molasses in a bowl.
- Microwave for two minutes.
- Add chopped apple and carrots, brown sugar, crushed peppermints, and flour to the mixture.
- Microwave for two minutes again.
- Put mixture in mini muffin pan, and bake for about 15 minutes.
Classic Treats – by Harper Slusher
- 3 cups organic uncooked old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup organic applesauce
- ¼ cup organic molasses
- ½ cup organic flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Next, add the molasses and applesauce and stir until well-incorporated.
- Once mixed, form the thick batter into teaspoon-sized balls and place them close together (but not touching) on a sprayed* cookie tray.
- Bake the treats for 15 to 20 minutes and then remove from oven.
- Leave the treats on the tray for 5 minutes to allow time for the treats to cool and harden.
- Once completely cool, store the treats in an airtight container.
No-Bake Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies – by Shawna White
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup water
- 1 to 2 tbsp. molasses
- 5 peppermints
- Mix the oats and water until the oats are damp.
- Add molasses by the tablespoon until the mixture is sticky.
- Roll into balls and press peppermint in the middle of each cookie.
- Put in refrigerator (uncovered) to harden.
WHOA Cakes (With Honey Oats and Apples) – by CapitalCowgirl
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1.5 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Combine all ingredients and mix well
- Drop spoonfuls into greased muffin tin.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Let cool and serve.
Cob Cookies (Carrot-Oat-Banana) – by Capital Cowgirl
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup unbleached bread flour
- 1/4 cup steel-cut oats
- 3 tbsp. molasses
- 1/4 cup water
- Dried banana chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a non-stick muffin tin.
- Combine the first five ingredients in a bowl (the mixture should be runny).
- Spoon enough into the tins so that the bottom of each well is covered.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the muffin tin from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Turn each “cookie” upside down (the bottom will be softer than the top).
- Press one banana chip into the softer side of each cookie.
- Return the tin to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Place the “cookies” on a clean plate and let cool in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
And finally, the classic Turmeric (Curcumin) horse treats can be found in my older post here
Note: When making treats, spray the cookie trays with coconut oil, but you can substitute this with any spray of your choice or grease the pans with butter.
Happy baking! 😀