Giveaway of the Oster Grooming Kit that I previously reviewed.
Open for international followers 😀
🔴 Follow @TofinoTack
🔴 Tag 3 people below 👇🏼
🔴 Comment your favourite or least favourite thing about my blog or instagram
💢 Competition ends in a week (Monday 26 December 2016. Good luck❗️
The hocks play a major role for the horses movement. They are the driving mechanism for their hind end. The Hock is the joint between the tarsal bones and tibia.
What happens to the hocks?
When the horses cartilage starts to thin in the middle join spaces, pain is evident as it is the actual bone grinding when moving. Therefore, horses will start to develop bone spurs along the edges which is the starting process of bone fusion. This affects not only the back legs, but also the the hips, croup and hindquarters.
To help relieve pain during the degeneration process, an injection is given to the lower and middle joint spaces until the process of fusion is complete. Fusion is a good thing in this case as they don’t slide, and therefore they don’t hurt anymore.
This happens to many athletic horses. The injection consists of corticosteroids, which are anti-inflammatory agents that according to studies and performance, help with pain relief and inflammation. Some vets combine corticosteroid with hyaluronate (also known as hyalruonic acid, or HA) to help lubricate the joint. Tofino got his hock injected within the first few months of having him. His X-ray showed that he has arthritis between the joints and started to develop bone spurs (see pic below).
- Type of riding
- Genetics (play a role in arthritic degeneration)
- Movement, or lack there of (horses in stall, standing still will be a lot stiffer)
- Joint Supplements: Adequan, Legend, Pentosan, glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM, NSAIDs are some of many suppliments that can aid in joint lubrication and pain.
- Weight management & Exercise: If your horse is overweight it can put a load of pressure on the hocks. If not then just continue to work them normally, and keep the outside of their box as much as possible.
- Therapy: To help relieve stiffness and pain.
- Surgery: Only in extreme cases, surgical drilling of the hock joints or chemical fusion of the hocks may be an option.
- Injections: Cortisone injections provide somewhat of a long term anti-inflammatory effect and pain relief. Depending on discipline and intensity, the injection may last somewhere between between 6 and 15 months.
Within the 5 years that I have had Tofino, I have only injected him 3 times so far. As soon as I start to notice when he’s in pain in that area, I give our vet a call. I found that the Turmeric treats help SO MUCH with the fluidity of his movements, and his diet, being on Reverdy Feed has given him the right nutrients, without adding supplements, to hold off on the injections, therefore, not needing them as much.
We are not sponsored by Reverdy Feed anymore, but I still stand by the product as I have noticed a great deal of positive change with Tofino’s performance and body.
Although I like to use the Ecolicious De-Stress , I heard a lot about the EQyss brand and decided to try their Detangler.
- Smooths out tangles, mats or knots
- Excellent for manes, tails, braids, or feathered legs
- Enhances shine
- Softens coat, mane and tails
- Vitamin E protects hair
I have used this for over a month now and I am honestly not liking it. This is a silicone based de-tangler which I find adds a “fake” shine and rigid feel to your horses mane & tail without adding any benefits in the long run.
After usage, there is minimal positive difference on the tail, and rather a negative one with the time used. I found that it made Tofino’s mane & tail frizzy, brittle, dry and rough. Sure it de-tangles, but it takes a lot of product to do so. With that being said, shine is very minimal and frizz is not tamed. I tried it on both dry and wet tail and it seemed to work better with the tail being wet but only lasts the day.
The consistency feels silky without being sticky or gooey. The scent is strong out of the bottle, but once on the horse, it cannot be smelt, which in my opinion is good, as I did not like the floral scent.
• De-tanlges temporarily
|• Doesn’t last
• Minimal shine
• Silicon based
• No long term benefit
• Leaves mane & tail with a plasticky feel
Verdict: This is a big NO for me. As much as I wanted to like this, the ingredients do not help, the results are more on the negative side unfortunately.