Gymnastics in riding is very helpful when it comes to jumping your horse. It not only helps develop your horses muscles, but also help the rider to better understand and play around with striding.
Benefits of Gymnastics Exercises:
- Develops confidence in both horse and rider
- Gain better balance
- Learning to stay on a consistent rhythm
- Corrects drifting/improves straightness
- Helps in understanding/controlling striding
- Helps in developing equitation
Generally, there are 3 phases, which include trot poles, cross pole, vertical and an oxer. This gives you a variety to work with and better understand the feel over the jumps.
You mostly start with trotting over the trot poles, however, there are some who prefer to just canter straight towards the cross pole. It depends on your riding and training.
Here is a video that helps to explain the 3 parts:
I personally need to work on this a lot! It is a good exercise to do at least once a week, even if it is only poles on the ground.
Hope this helps 🙂