As important as stretching is for us after exercise, the same goes to horses.
Stretching your horse’s muscles will enhance performance and reduce the possibility of an injury.
I have previously written a post on “Warming Up & Cooling Down you Horse
” in order slowly get your horse moving before and after proper riding. In addition to warm up and cool down, you can also help your horse to better their performance by following multiple stretching techniques. These are carefully written and recorded by an application called Stretch Your Horse which is designed to teach viewers how to safely and effectively stretch their horse’s muscles anytime and anywhere.
Note: Stretching should only be done on warm muscles. If you warm up your horse in the saddle, this means you should stretch your horse after you ride.
Benefits of Stretching:
- Enhances sensory nerve endings (for muscles, tendons, ligaments, joints)
- Prevent injury (reduce risk of muscle & tendon injury)
- Increase suppleness & elasticity
- Improve circulation
- Relieve pain, inflammation, muscle spasms
- Avoid stiff/sore muscles
- Relieve joint (as you extent contracted muscle to their position it relieves stress off ligament that is attached to joint)
- Promote relaxation
[For more information, check out: Stretching your horse benefits and guidelines]
- No internet connectivity or cell service needed after the initial download
- Each video is downloaded separately and resides on smartphone
- Download on wi-fi to avoid data plan usage and charges (strongly recommended)
- Cost effective because rider only downloads specific stretch videos their horse needs
- Great for riders of all experience levels and non-riders too
- All stretches done from the ground
The application is very easy to navigate and has numerous videos on a wide range of sections that cover your horse’s body. The app comes with 3 free videos. You are able to review each video and give your feedback. There is a small purchase fee ($1.99 USD) for each video. This is easy on the pocket and enables the rider to customize purchases based on their horse’s specific needs. Personally, I would rather buy all 22 videos at once for convenience, but not everyone would want to do that.
The images and writings are very clear and straight forward, making it accessible for those with no scientific background with regards to horses. The loading time does depend on your internet speed, but once it is loaded it saves into the app which allows you to access it anytime without having to use data again.
You can purchase the app for just $2.99, and get 3 free videos. Most of the other videos cost only $1.99. Customize your video purchases. Buy only the stretches your horse needs.
Click image to preview
App and download to your iPhone. (You must do this from your phone.)
Click image to preview App and download to your Android phone. (You must do this from your phone.)