Winter here in the UAE isn’t very cold but can reach as low as 10 degrees C at night.
Since it’s mostly hot throughout the year, the horses still feel the difference this weather causes.
In the summer, I wrote about surviving the summer heat, and decided to write one up for winter.
1. Increase food intake: The more they eat, the more of an internal furnace they have. Horses expend significantly more calories keeping warm in the winter, thus, are likely to lose weight if food intake is not increased.
2. Plenty of water: Make sure water is not freezing if the horses are staying outside
3. Winter coat: allow their coat grow out to warm them naturally
4. Shelter/warm stables: Make sure your horse has a spot to get away from harsh weather
5. Increase exercise: This will help them stay warm and keep their muscle mass.
6. Long warm up: Take your time warming up, especially with older horses (warming up & cooling down your horse)
7. Blankets: Get rugs (waterproof is better): and layer them if necessary
8. Hoof care: Clean hooves daily, and apply water repellent to protect from mud fever. I use PlusVital.
Hope this helps 🙂