Every summer, Tofino tends to get these rubs on his face where he loses his hair. I have tried coconut oil and it did seem to help but not fast enough. So I looked into commercial products and found the Leovet Bio-Skin Oil from Equestrian Solutions. It retails for 110AED/29.95USD, however I got it in their summer sale for 60AED/16.3USD.
Effective help for summer eczema Natural ingredients like marigold, carrot and St. John´s wort regenerate and restore damaged skin areas and stimulate hair growth on bald spots. A luxurious, long-lasting lotion that soothes bothersome itching and deters rubbing. Regenerates the skin.
There are no other ingredients listed either on the label or online unfortunately which I am not too fond of.
Day 1: Still pretty pink and looks raw. Again, I am not sure whether this is due to scratching or from the heat.
Day 2: It is less pink and looks lighter which means there is minimal hair growth again.
Day 3: Improvement in the surface area affected and again, less pink and looks lighter, which means more hair growth.
Day 4: His hair already grown out and only slight pink flesh left. Great improvement!
Day 5: It is basically nearly completely healed by the 5th day!
This is a great product for horses suffering with certain skin conditions as it soothes and encourages skin/cell growth. The bottle is very generous and would last a very long time as a little goes a long way.
Do be careful though and do a sample test on your horse before applying generously. I myself had a reaction to my hand which i presume is from St. John´s wort.
|• Works very fast
• Generous bottle
• Spreads easily
• Eliminates scratching
• Grows hair fast
|• Pricey (but you can get it on sales)
• No ingredients listed
• May cause an allergy (always test first)
Verdict: I would definitely recommend this for anyone who’s horse has skin issues. It works surprisingly well and fast. As mentioned above, i had a skin reaction to the product and need to use with with gloves, but Tofino has no issue whatsoever.
Keeping a measuring tape at the barn is a necessity in order to identify:
- Weight: for maintenance + medications + pastes
- Rug sizes
- Body conditioning ratings
I came across the Tough-1 Sure Measure Tape from eQuestri a while back and I am glad that I got my hands on it as it is so much easier to use than normal measuring tape or string.
Want to know your horses approximate weight and height? This height and weight tape for horses and ponies will enable you to make very close estimates of your animals size. Constructed with unbreakable vinyl-coated nylon. Measures in both hand and centimeters, as well as in pounds and kilos. Measures up to 20 hands and 1,400 pounds.
The Tough-1 Sure Measure Tape is made with vinyl coated nylon which makes it unbreakable. It has a quick grip velcro closure for easy roll up and compactness.
On one side, it estimates the horses weight in both pounds (lb) and kilograms (kg) for horses up to 634kg/1398lb. It also has some instructions on how to use the tape for the different measurements you may be looking for.
On the other side, the tape has measurements for the height in both hands (hh) and centimeters (cm) for horses up to 20hh/200cm, and also written instructions
The tape does give you enough instructions to work with; but if you find yourself confused or stuck trying to take the weight of your horse, you can always take a look at the video in my de-worming post which shows you how to weigh your horse using a tape.
|• Instructions on tape
• Soft, no noises to spook horses
• Compact: folds with velcro closure
• Measures Height + Weight
• Measures in UK + US units
• Measures up to 20hh + 634kg
|• Begins cm measurement from 20, not 0
Verdict: I would definitely recommend this product. It is a must have for every horse owner/leaser!
I have been using coconut oil for a while with Tofino. I used to give him vegetable oil with his food until i read about the different oils that are safe for your horse and their benefits.
The good thing about using coconut oil is that its consistency is not runny unless heated. In normal room temperature, the texture is moose like which makes it less messy and easy to measure and apply.
I personally use organic virgin coconut oil (click image to enlarge):
Coconut oil is not only for ingestion but can also be used externally. Here are a few of the benefits that coconut oil can have on your horse:
- Assist in digestion and improving gut health: It is an easy oil for your horse to digest and absorb and convert it to energy.
- Energy: Great form of energy for your horse
- Cuts/abrasions: Assists in faster healing
- Conditioner: Great conditioner for mane, tail, body and hooves not only for horses but also human hair and body too!
- Infection: Helps heal and prevent infection from insect bites to mud fever
- Calories: Can help adjust food balance especially for underweight horses
- Rubs and Itching: Can be applied to any saddle rubs or tail itching to calm and sooth the area
- Hair growth: Used on mane and tail or even the body on patches of less hair or no hair to help with growth (this also applies to human hair too, i have used it personally on mine and it truly help grow my hair stronger and healthier)
- Overall performance: I personally noticed that Tofino is more forward and more flexible while on coconut oil, and not to mention that he absolutely loves it!
Note: When giving your horse any kind of oil to ingest it is important to be cautious of the amount. They only need a teaspoon daily.